Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Play Silks...Finally

I bought this silk from Dharma Trading way before Christmas and never got around to dying it. Seth and I did it together the yesterday and it was super easy. After reading about 10 different methods, this is how we dyed the fabric:

Mix 2 packets of Kool-Aid with 1 cup of white vinegar. ( I think next time I would do 4 packets for the yellow.) Add 2 cups very hot (almost boiling) water and stir in 1 yard of silk. It's amazing how you can literally see the silk drinking up the color.
Once most of the color has been soaked up from the mixture, rinse under cold water, one by one, ringing until it runs clear.
Hang to dry.
I didn't use gloves and dyed my hands orange too!
The silks turned out great and Seth has already been having fun playing all sorts of creative games and make believe with them. (I have too!)






No comments:

Post a Comment