Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Blue Christmas

On Christmas Eve, Seth was napping. When he woke up he got a hold of the Children's Tylenol. He came out from his nap with red on his face and said, "Mommy, I drink medicine." In his room it was all over the sheets and floor. It is all kind of a blur. But I called poison control immediately- turns out he could have drank most of it and been ok - but he didn't get much at all. Leizle , our beloved dog that I adopted ten years ago, must have gone in and licked it up before I could get it up while I was on the phone with poison control. I didn't even realize it at the time.
That night when we came home from Mimi's Leizle had gotten sick in three places. It was red and I had made a recipe with cherry Jello earlier that day. I couldn't figure out how she got into it - it still didn't click. Later that night we could tell she wasn't feeling well. In the morning she was worse - lethargic, swollen face, mucus in eyes etc.. Mark asked, "Do you think she got some of that Tylenol?" It was like a light bulb went off and I litterally saw the whole event relpay in a flash. How could I not have realized? How did I let this happen? I said that that was exactly what happened. Everything had been so chaotic with making sure that Seth was ok and rushing around to get to church on time. I feel so stupid - this horrible accident was completely preventable.
I called the emergency vet and they said I should bring her on in. Basically there was nothing they could do. For $1400 they could try some things but it was pretty much a lost cause. He said the prognosis was very bleak. Dogs cannot process Tylenol at all. It shut down her liver and kidneys. She was suffering and we decided to put her to sleep. I stayed with her while they did it. I couldn't leave her. She just went to sleep - she was very peaceful. I really cannot believe it.
Needless to say, this was the worst Christmas ever. Dana and Dan both said the same thing - that she was a Christmas present for Papa in heaven. It's funny, but that was one of the first things I thought too. Papa passed away almost a year ago. He loved all animals, especially dogs, and it is very comforting to think of the two of them running around and playing fetch in the clouds. I feel totally in shock and to blame. Pup Pup, our little Dachshund, seems lost without her - as do we all. Even though she was a dog, she was a family member and was deeply loved. We will miss her forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment