Monday, January 26, 2009

My Papa

Papa passed away a year ago and it is still hard to believe. I think he best way to pay tribute would be to repeat what I said at the funeral.

When I was little I hated my freckles. Papa always told me, "A girl without freckles is like a night without stars." That helped me to hate them just a little bit less. Papa also used to say, "When an idea gets loose in an empty head, it has the time of it's life." I always thought it was a funny saying, but over the years I have come to realize just how true it actually is.

Papa taught me so much - how to parallel park, to be kind to animals, how to find the area of a triangle, and what the true meaning of family really is. On our wedding day, Papa gave my husband and I some of the best advice we have ever received. He said that if you ever find yourselves in a heated argument that seems to be going nowhere - and you will - just look at each other, whisper "I love you.", and laugh. Apparently, it got him out of hot water on more than a few occasions. Papa was one of the greatest men I have ever known and I only hope my son turns out to be as good of a person as he was.


No comments:

Post a Comment