Thursday, June 21, 2012

Danny Boy

A while back my brother, Dan, was going to a church leadership retreat and his family was asked to write letters of encouragement for him to read at the end of the conference. I just recently came across the file and thought this might be a good place to keep track of it.

Gosh, I sure am sweet. ;)

Dear Daniel,

Life sometimes gets hectic and I don't often tell you how much you mean to me. Even if I don't always say it, I want you to know how much you are loved. I loved you before you were even born. I remember after Mom and Dad told me that I was getting a new sibling, going down to the lower level on Glencoe and kneeling down by my swing set to pray for a baby brother. (No offense to my baby sister.) I also remember the night you were born. I had gone to stay with Grandma and Papa at the farm. Grandma and I were laying in bed together in our pajamas when the phone rang. When Grandma got off the phone she told me that you had been born and that I had a baby brother named Daniel Ryan. All I could do was laugh and laugh.

God more than answered my prayers when he sent our family you. From the very beginning you were such a sweet boy, eager to please and, although you could be a little feisty at times, you have always had a heart of gold. As a child you were loyal, trustworthy, honest, caring and hard working - to name a few traits. These are attributes that have carried over into your adult life, because they are at the core of who you are as a person.

This passed year, our family went through the hardest period in our lives when we lost Dad. Your strength and courage during that time was tremendous. I know Dad is looking down, so proud of the job you are doing as the man of the family. In so many ways you remind me of him.

For a long time I only thought of you in the context of being a brother, but as we have grown I am aware of all of the hats that you wear. Devoted son. Loving husband. Caring friend. Hard working company man. Dedicated father. Faithful disciple. In all of your roles you excel. I watch you with Molly and Chase and see how blessed they are to have you. You are an awesome Dad! I also admire your love of God and your abiding faith. You make me want to be a better Christian.

Basically what I'm getting at is, I like you. You're good enough. You're smart enough. And doggone it, people like you.

Thanks for always being a great brother and friend.

Love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment