Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Doctor Is In!

Earlier, I felt a poke in my ankle. A few seconds later, another. "Ouch. That hurts." I looked down and Seth was jabbing me with a colored pencil. "Please don't poke me with that pencil, Seth. It hurts." He replied, "I da doctor. I make you a beddah." Aww...he was playing doctor. "OK buddy. But do it gently." And he did.

Then I remembered a vintage Sesame Street doctor kit that we had bought a while back to sell on ebay. For some reason it didn't sell - even though it seems like anything old and Sesame Street sells. "Doctor Seth, go hop up on your bed I've got something for you." I retrieved the bag from the closet and went to the anxiously awaiting physician with a little plush monkey in my hands. "Doctor Seth, this monkey is very sick. He must be seen at once." I presented him the doctor bag and one by one he pulled out a reflex hammer, a thermometer, band-aids, scissors, a sling, syringes and an octoscope.

He loved the set and we payed doctor for a loooong time. He fixed all of my boo-boos. "Thank you Doctor Seth."

"You welcome Mommy."

And I'd fix his. "Chank you Doctor Mommy."

"Sure thing Seth."

He also cured a monkey with a bad cough. Gave shots to another. Put a sling on a bear with a broken arm. Treated a leopard with a tummy ache. Fixed up a duck with diarrhea. (Water from the tub leaked out when the patient was being treated.) And made an octopus who had lost his mommy and daddy feel much better. Even Pup Pup and Leon, who is visiting while Mom and Dad are in Texas, got check-ups.

When he would examine each patient, he'd pick it up and say, "Let me have a look." He'd assess the situation and take the appropriate course of medicine. Then, he'd wrap them up (each had to have it's own blanket) and put them to bed for the evening. His bedside manner is impeccable. At one point, Mark came in and sat down on the chair which was serving as the hospital bed. Seth was appalled that a patient was being squished!

Much fun was had and I'm sure we will be playing doctor again tomorrow. I love seeing his little imagination blossoming.



No comments:

Post a Comment