Monday, October 26, 2009

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown by Charles Schultz


We have also added this classic to our Halloween book repertoire. I didn't grow up with the book, but we watched the television special every October. I think everyone knows the plot line: Linus waits in the most sincere pumpkin patch he can find in the hopes of seeing the Great Pumpkin. Meanwhile, he misses out on Halloween once again. I'm not sure what the lesson in this one really is but I still love it for the nostalgia factor. What caught me off guard was the use of the words stupid and crazy when the kids were talking about each other. (I have run into the word stupid in several other children's books that were also first published in the 50's and 60's. I found it strange!) We just change the words to silly and keep on rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment